4375 East Sunset Road
Henderson, NV 89014
- 2006 MFA in Creative Writing: Fiction from the University of Alabama
- 1999 BA in Philosophy from Indiana University South Bend
Novels / “Penny Dreadful” Short Novels / Collections
- Cthulhu Attacks! Book 3: The Fight. Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press (forthcoming 2017).
- The Act. Las Vegas, NV: Moran Press (forthcoming 2017).
- Mr Tesla and Mr Darwin Fight Edison’s Ravenous Megalodons through the Judicious Use of Time Travel and Giant Robots (Book 1 of The Tesla Trilogy). Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press (forthcoming 2017).
- Cthulhu Attacks! Book 2: The Faith. Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press (forthcoming 2016).
- Nikola Tesla Meets The Slender Man. Las Vegas, NV: Hoade’s Penny Dreadfuls (imprint of Moran Press), 2016.
- Prehistoric Beasts and Where to Fight Them. (Writing as “Hugo Navikov.”) Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press. (forthcoming 2016).
- War Thug 2. (Writing as “Hugo Navikov.”) Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press, 2016.
- Lovecraft Cackles: 2 Tales of Miskatonic Mayhem. Las Vegas, NV: Hoade’s Penny Dreadfuls (imprint of Moran Press), 2016.
- War Thug. (Writing as “Hugo Navikov.”) Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press, 2016.
- Absinthe in Arkham: Two Tales of Lovecraftian Decadence. Las Vegas, NV: Hoade’s Penny Dreadfuls (imprint of Moran Press), 2016.
- Nikola Tesla vs. The Daylight Vampires. Las Vegas, NV: Hoade’s Penny Dreadfuls (imprint of Moran Press), 2016.
- Zombie School Confidential (nonfiction). Birmingham, AL: FilmNerds Press, 2016.
- Spinosaurus. (Writing as “Hugo Navikov.”) Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press, 2015.
- Cthulhu Attacks! Book 1: The Fear. Hobart, Tasmania: Severed Press, 2015.
- The Adventures of Cal Longwood, Porn Star Detective: Eleven Inches from Heaven. Portland, OR: Dynatox Industries, 2014.
- Know When to Run. Las Vegas, NV: Moran Press, 2016.
- Originally published as Reviva Las Vegas. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace, 2014.
- Deadtown Abbey. Las Vegas, NV: Moran Press, 2016.
- Originally published under the same title. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace, 2014.
- Three for the Money. Las Vegas, NV: Moran Press, 2016.
- New edition published as Ain’t That America, 2nd. ed. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace, 2013.
- Originally published as Ain’t that America. New York: Writer’s Club Press, 2000.
- Inappropriate Behavior (stories). Las Vegas, NV: Moran Press, 2016.
- Originally published under same title. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace, 2011.
- Darwin’s Dreams. Las Vegas, NV: Moran Press, 2016.
- Originally published under same title. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace, 2008.
Fiction in Anthologies and Journals
- “Mud Men.” In Summer of Lovecraft. Hayward, CA: Chaosium, Inc., 2015.
- “Brains Like Figgy Pudding.” In Dark Holidays. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace, 2014.
- “Cold Air.” In Cthulhurotica 2. Portland, OR: Dagan Books, 2013.
- “Security.” Carve 7.1 (2006).
- “Tough Love,” Utterpants (UK) (October 2005).
- “Dumb.” Dissociated Writers Project Journal (2003).
- “The Girl Who Spoke Pig Latin.” Analecta (1999).
- “Who Killed JenBeret?” (stage play) Revolutions (1998)
- “Court Briefs.” Chic (October 1991).
- “Derailed.” Chic (November 1990).
- “Brains Like Figgy Pudding.” In The Undead That Saved Christmas. Scotts Valley, CA: CreateSpace, 2010.
- “Reviva Las Vegas!” In Eyewitness: Zombie. Beaverton, OR: May December Publications, 2010.
- “Tweets by Glenn Robinson, Zombie.” In Daily Bites of Flesh: A Zombie Anthology. Chadron, NE: Pill Hill Press, 2010.
- “Samsara Suite.” In You Are Not Here and Other Works of Buddhist Fiction. Somerville, MA: Wisdom Publications, 2006.
- “It’s Hot in Hell.” horse less review 2 (2005).
- “Space.” The Pub 13 (1991).
PRESENTATIONS AND PANELS
- August 7, 2016 “From Voodoo to the Running Dead: The History of Zombies” presentation at Tampa Bay Comic Con (upcoming).
- August 7, 2016 Member of “Fiction and Fantasy Writing” panel at TBCC (upcoming).
- August 6, 2016 “Gods and Monsters: H.P. Lovecraft’s Horrifying Creatures” presentation at TBCC. (upcoming)
- August 5, 2016 “Steampunk Defense Against the Dark Arts” presentation at TBCC (upcoming)
- June 11, 2016 Member of “Writing Paranormal Fiction” panel at Barnes & Noble, Henderson, NV
- March 26, 2016 Moderator of “‘Not Meant to Voyage Far: Science in the Universe of H.P. Lovecraft” panel at Salt Lake FanX.
- March 24, 2016 “Building the Scene” at Salt Lake FanX.
- January 30, 2016 “Defense Against the Dark Arts” at Steamathon 2. (I was a vendor in a room where none of the panelists for this panel showed up. No one knew this and so an audience was waiting. In order to entertain and edify them until the real panelists could arrive, I gave a presentation about this subject in the alternate universe of Steampunk, and Doc Phineas thanked me personally and profusely, as did the audience members!)
- January 29, 2016 “Character Development in Steampunk Literature” at Steamathon 2 (YouTube link).
- October 2, 2015 Member of “Re-Mythologizing the Mythos” panel at the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival and CthulhuCon.
- September 23, 2015 Member of “H.P. Lovecraft” panel at Salt Lake Comic Con.
- September 23, 2015 Member of “Anatomy of a Zombie” panel at SLCC. (YouTube link).
- September 20, 2015 “Starting Your Novel From Scratch” presentation at Rose City Comic Con (YouTube link).
- September 19, 2015 “Creating Unforgettable Dialogue” presentation at RCCC.
- September 19, 2015 “Using Star Wars to Show Building Fiction Scene by Scene” presentation at RCCC (YouTube link).
- May 30, 2015 Member of “H.P. Lovecraft and the Cthulhu Mythos” Panel at Phoenix ComiCon (YouTube link).
- April 26, 2015 Member of “Creating a Mythos” panel at CthulhuCon PDX.
- April 25, 2015 Member of “Dracula vs. Cthulhu” panel at CthulhuCon PDX.
- September 6, 2014 “Building the Scene in Fiction” presentation at Salt Lake Comic Con (YouTube link).
- September 5, 2014 Member of “George Romero Retrospective” panel at SLCC.(YouTube link).
- April 12, 2014 Member of “Was Lovecraft Racist?” panel at H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival and CthulhuCon.
- Fall 2009 Zombies! The Living Dead in Literature. Seven-part lecture series on iTunes University (over 90,000 downloads from iTunes each year).
- September 2, 2009 Prose Poetry. Presentation to Dr. Bebe Barefoot’s “Creativity” New College class.
- October 27, 2007 Dharma of the Dead: What Zombies Can Teach Us About Buddhism (and Vice Versa). Presentation to Mallet Assembly, University of Alabama.
- January 25, 2004 Using Science Fiction in the ESL Reading Classroom. Presented at the Alabama-Mississippi Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (AM-TESOL) Conference, Mississippi State University.
- April 21, 1995. Investigating Genetic Algorithms. Published as Technical Report TR19950908-5, Indiana University South Bend. Presented at the 1995 Undergraduate Research Conference at Baylor University.
GRANTS AND AWARDS
- Arts & Sciences Active and Collaborative Learning Grant to develop syllabus and course materials for wireless composition classes, University of Alabama, 2004.
- Top Conference Presentation, AM-TESOL Conference, Mississippi State University, 2004.
- Quarterfinalist, Scriptapalooza screenwriting competition, 2004.
- Alumni Fiction Award, Honorable Mention, University of Alabama, 2003.
- Dissociated Writers Project, 1st Place in Fiction, 2003.
PROFESSIONAL WRITING/EDITING EXPERIENCE
2013–Present Copywriter for RealROI Web company
- Write SEO articles for clients’ pages
- Freelance position
2014–2015 Content Manager II, InfoStream Group, Las Vegas, NV
- Wrote blogs, emails, internal documents for suite of websites
- Edited same for other writers
- Wrote and tested AdWords content
- Used Sendy, Litmus, and a bit of Google Analytics for email campaigns
2013–Present Copywriter for Figure8 Web design company
- Write all material for clients’ pages, including menus and other paratext
- Freelance position
2013–2014 SEO Content Writer, Textbroker, Las Vegas, NV
- Wrote articles for blogs, news websites, and other clients
- Freelance position
2013 Copywriter, LIK USA, Las Vegas, NV
- Wrote press releases, company blog entries, in-store signage, external communications, email marketing pieces, and more
- Proofread and edit all marketing and advertising materials
- One-month position to bring materials into line with company mission
2011–2012 Copy Editor, The Motley Fool, Washington, DC
- Edited and formatted articles for online publication
- Worked with writers on fact-checking and graphics formatting
1999–2002 Copywriter, Juhl Advertising Agency, Mishawaka, IN
- Wrote for print, radio, television, and Internet advertising campaigns
- Proofread and edited marketing and advertising materials
1995–1997 Copy Editor / Features Writer, South Bend Tribune, South Bend, IN
- Edited news and feature articles for publication in daily newspaper
- Wrote headlines and cutlines
- Wrote entertainment and local feature articles
- Did interviews and proposed ideas for articles
- Used Quark Xpress for page layout
1989–1990 Reporter, Quad City News, Pompano Beach, FL
- Wrote news and feature articles as well as weekly column
- Wrote headlines and cutlines
- Edited “North” edition of weekly paper
2013–2014 Adjunct Instructor, Southern New Hampshire University Online
- Taught graduate-level fiction and screenwriting
- One course per 11-week term
2010–2011 Adjunct Instructor, Stillman College, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Introduction to Composition II — Literature (EN 132)
2006–2010 Full-Time Instructor, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Introduction to Composition I & II (EN 101 & 102)
- Developmental English Composition for ESL students (EN 120)
- American Literature Survey II (EN 210), including 120-student sections
- Honors English (British) Literature Survey II (EN 216)
- Special Topics in Literature: Zombies! The Living Dead in Literature, Film, and Culture (EN 311 of my design)
- Forms of Creative Writing: Humor Writing (EN 308 of my design)
- Forms of Creative Writing: Apocalypse Narratives (EN 308 of my design)
- Forms of Creative Writing: “Hard” vs. “Soft” Sci-Fi (EN 308 of my design)
- Technical Writing (EN 319)
- Advanced Fiction Writing (EN 401)
- For the Honors College (I proposed and designed content of all classes):
- Reading and Writing “The Lost Generation” (Capstone International Program in Paris slated for Summer 2010)
- Classics in Eastern Culture (UH 202)
- Seminar: Superheroes—Power and Responsibility (UH 300)
- Seminar: The Apocalypse (UH 300)
- Seminar: Watchmen (UH 300)
- Common Book Experience: The Road (UH 120)
2002–2006 Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Fiction Writing (EN 301)
- Introduction to Creative Writing (EN 200)
- British Literature Survey II (EN 206)
- Composition I and II (EN 101 & 102)